Want to learn more about DIY solar?
Great! You’re in the right place.
SolarLoco is the place to learn about how solar power works, what kind of gear you need, and how to install a solar electric system. Our goal is to inspire RVers, tiny house dwellers, camper van adventurers, and homesteaders to build their own solar installations.
In addition to providing information and inspiration, we also hope to create a friendly DIY solar community. We invite you to join our Facebook group, SolarLoco DIY Solar. We believe that by assembling a helpful community, we can help more people achieve their goals of self-reliance and sustainability.
We also believe that:
- Off-grid living totally doable. Lots of people do it. You could be the next to join the club!
- The science behind solar doesn’t have to be complicated. We’ll do our best to explain things in a way that is easy to grasp. And we’ll try to do it without boring your socks off.
- You’ve got this. We were once in your shoes. We spent hours googling things, sifting through mumbo jumbo, and piecing all of the information together. We understand how difficult it is to learn about solar starting from scratch. So trust us, we know what it takes to figure all of this out, and we think you’ll be just fine.
The point is: If you want to build a DIY solar electric system, we believe that you can do it. We’ll help you figure it all out.
So, who’s behind SolarLoco?
Well hello there! I’m Chris On. I started this site because when I put my photovoltaic system together, I had an extremely difficult time finding reliable, scientifically accurate, easy-to-understand information about solar power systems on the web. And it’s not like it was 1998—no, that was in 2014.
I decided to put everything I learned about solar in one place so that people would have a place to go when they needed help building and installing their own solar electric systems. My goal is to be as helpful, clear, and concise as possible.
Things about me that may interest you:
- I used to be a high school level math teacher.
- I designed my own solar electric system.
- I used to teach Adobe After Effects.
- I have degree in Psychology from UCLA.
- I love dancing.
- If I could make a career out of lip synching, I’d totally do it.
Hi, I’m Jef. I’m the programmer for the SolarLoco website. Outside of SolarLoco, I work as a software engineer, and have worked for organizations such as JPL, Caltech, and UCLA.
Chris’s comments about Jef: He’s a man of few words. But trust me, he’s a smart dude.
So, now that you know us a little better, let’s be friends!